Bringing a new puppy home
You’ve done all your homework and now you can’t wait to bring home your puppy. But before you pick him up, you’ll need to prepare your house, yard, and family for his arrival. With a little planning you can ensure your new puppy arrives home safe and sound, ready to join his new pack.
Bringing home a puppy can be a stressful time for your pup. He’ll be in a strange environment away from his littermates and mother for the first time. There’ll be new people and new expectations. That’s why it’s important to take some time to prepare for your puppy. You’ll need to make your house and yard safe and set rules for yourself and your family about how to care for your pup. You’ll also need to pick up any last-minute items on your puppy supply list. The more structured you can make this transition, the easier it will be for your puppy to adapt.
The following articles will help you prepare for bringing home a puppy.
- How to puppy proof your house and yard
- Setting rules for your children and a new puppy
- Puppy proofing kids with dog bite prevention
- New puppy supply list of essentials
- Dog names: How to name your new puppy
The big day
All of your research and planning have come down to this moment. It’s time to bring home a new puppy! The articles below will help guide you through the big events of your first few days together.
- How to survive the car ride from the breeder
- Car Safety and Your Dog
- Introducing a new puppy to your house
- Introducing a new puppy to your dog and other pets
- First night with puppy: A survival guide
- Puppy’s first trip to the veterinarian
- Disaster Preparedness and Your Pet